Program Review and Assessment Committee (PRAC)
The Program Review and Assessment Committee (PRAC) is composed of representatives of a broad range of academic and support units. The committee establishes guidelines for comprehensive program review for academic and administrative units and provides guidance for student outcomes assessment throughout the institution. It also provides a forum for the exchange of program review and assessment information and strategies among graduate and undergraduate programs and administrative units. This committee, which has faculty leadership, funds small grants that promise innovative approaches or improved practice in assessment. It also has the responsibility for preparing campus assessment plans and reports that may be required by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The activities of the committee are supported by staff in the Office of Planning and Institutional Improvement (PAII).
Responsibilities of PRAC members include:
- Ensuring that their school is represented at each PRAC meeting
- Communicating information and action items from PRAC to appropriate personnel, committees or groups (e.g. Dean / Associate Dean / Chair, curriculum committee, assessment committee, faculty as a whole) in the member’s school or unit
- Providing guidance and expertise on assessment issues within the member’s school or unit
- Contributing, on behalf of the member’s school or unit, to PRAC regarding program review and assessment practices, policies, and experiences
- Serving on PRAC subcommittees as appropriate
- Compiling and submitting the annual report to PAII on behalf of their school or unit
Meeting Schedule & Minutes
The links include meeting schedule and minutes of meeting.
- Advanced Practitioners Subcommittee
- Grant Review Subcomittee
- PRAC Annual Reports Review Subcomittee
- Experiential and Applied Learning Subcommittee
School Assessment Reports
Each IUPUI school and related educational unit reports annually to the Program Review and Assessment Committee to summarize its assessment of student learning during the previous academic year. Over time, each unit's PRAC reports should reflect sustained attention to:
- Student learning outcomes for each academic program--associate through PhD.
- Assessment methods for each student learning outcome.
- Assessment findings.
- Use of findings for continuous improvement in instruction, curriculum, and/or student support services such as advising.
PRAC Report Guidelines (Revised May 2017)
- Planning for Learning and Assessment Outline - Academic and administrative units may use this outline as a template for annual reports or develop their own format.
- Rubric for Assessing PRAC Reports - Each year a subcommittee of PRAC members reviews reports to provide feedback to authors regarding strengths and areas for clarification or improvement, using a rubric grounded in the PRAC Report Guidelines. We advise PRAC report authors to use this as a checklist of issues to address in the report.
- Glossary of Assessment Terms - The Advanced Practices Subcommittee of PRAC has provided a glossary to clarify assessment terminology and offer a common language for discussion.
- Tip Sheet for PRAC Report Writers - Important Considerations for Writing Annual PRAC/Assessment Reports (especially if you’re new to this task and/or haven’t been involved in campus-wide discussions of assessment)
- Direct and Indirect Measures of Student Learning
Reports are typically due to the Senior Advisor to the Chancellor for Planning and Improvement by September 1 each year. In your cover email message please include a paragraph describing efforts in your unit to orient faculty to evaluating student learning of program learning outcomes and of the knowledge and skills embodied in the PULs. What kind of assistance (CTL workshop, individual consultation, PRAC agenda item) would be most helpful in preparing faculty and staff for these responsibilities?
For PRAC Reports prior to FY01-02, please contact the PAII Office at 274-4111.
Annual Summary of Activities
Since 2013, PRAC activities have been summarized in Assessment Reports (see above).
- 2011 - 2012
- 2010 - 2011
- 2009 - 2010
- 2008 - 2009
- 2007 - 2008
- 2006 - 2007
- 2005 - 2006
- 2004 - 2005
- 2003 - 2004
- 2002 - 2003
- 2001 - 2002
- 2000 - 2001
- 1999 - 2000
- 1998 - 1999
The IUPUI Program Review and Assessment Committee (PRAC) establishes guidelines for comprehensive program review of academic and administrative units and provides guidance for student outcomes assessment throughout the institution. This committee funds grants that promise innovative approaches or improved practice in assessment and/or program review.
PRAC Grant Proposal Rubric - This Rubric is used by the selection committee members to evaluate proposals.
IUPUI Glossary of Assessment Terms
The IUPUI Glossary of Assessment Terms is designed to facilitate understanding by providing a common language for discussions.