Building a Scholarship of Assessment
~ Trudy W. Banta, and Associates
About the Book:
In this book, leading experts in the field examine the current state of assessment practice and scholarship, explore what the future holds for assessment, and offer guidance to help educators meet these new challenges. The contributors root assessment squarely in several related disciplines to provide an overview of assessment practice and scholarship that will prove useful to both the seasoned educator and those new to assessment practice. Ultimately, Building a Scholarship of Assessment will help convince skeptics who still believe outcomes assessment is a fad and will soon fade away that this is an interdisciplinary area with deep roots and an exciting future.
About the Authors:
Trudy W. Banta is Professor of Higher Education and Vice Chancellor for Planning and Institutional Improvement at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis. She is coauthor of Assessment in Practice and Making a Difference, and founding editor of Assessment Update (a Jossey-Bass bimonthly newsletter).
Contributors include: Tom Angelo, George Kuh, T. Dary Erwin, and ten other experts in several related disciplines, all of whom provide you with crucial insights on assessment practice and scholarship.
Part One: History and Current Status of Assessment
- An Emerging Scholarship: A Brief History of Assessment (Peter T. Ewell).
- Promoting Academic Improvement: Organizational and Administrative Dynamics That Support Student Assessment (Marvin W. Peterson and Derek S. Vaughan).
Part Two: Theoretical Foundations of Assessment
- The Roots of Assessment: Tensions, Solutions, and Research Directions (Peter J. Gray).
- A Scholar-Practitioner Model for Assessment (T. Dary Erwin and Steven L. Wise).
- Enacting a Collaborative Scholarship of Assessment (Marcia Mentkowski and Georgine Loacker).
- The Scholarly Assessment of Student Development (George D. Kuh, Robert M. Gonyea, and Daisy P. Rodriguez).
Part Three: Methods of Assessment
- Measurement Issues in Outcomes Assessment (Gary R. Pike). < /li>
- Web Applications in Assessment (Mark D. Shermis and Kathryn E. Daniels).
- Information Support for Assessment (Victor M. H. Borden).
Part Four: Scholarly Assessment
- Engaging and Supporting Faculty in the Scholarship of Assessment: Guidelines from Research and Best Practice (Thomas Anthony Angelo).
- Scholarly Assessment of Student Learning in the Major and General Education (Catherine A. Palomba).
- Program Review: A Spectrum of Perspectives and Practices (Karen E. Black and Kimberly A. Kline).
- Accreditation and the Scholarship of Assessment (Barbara D. Wright).
Part Five: Toward a Scholarship of Assessment
- Characteristics of Effective Outcomes Assessment: Foundations and Examples (Trudy W. Banta).
- A Call for Transformation (Trudy W. Banta).
Ordering Information:Building A Scholarship of Assessment
Trudy W. Banta, and Associates