Trudy W. Banta - Biographical Sketch
Trudy W. Banta
Professor of Higher Education
and Senior Advisor to the Chancellor for Academic Planning and Evaluation
Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis
B.A. in Education (Biology and History in Secondary Education), University of Kentucky; M.A. in Counseling, University of Kentucky; Ed.D. in Educational Psychology (Minors: Psychology and Educational Administration), University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Recipient of ten national awards for her work, Dr. Banta has consulted with faculty and administrators in 47 states, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, South Africa, and the United Arab Emirates on the topic of outcomes assessment and has given invited addresses on this topic at national conferences in Australia, Canada, China, England, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Lebanon, New Zealand, Scotland, and Spain. She has developed and coordinated 26 national assessment conferences in the U.S. and 15 international conferences held in Australia, Austria, England, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Malaysia, the Netherlands, Scotland, South Africa, and the United States.
Banta has written or edited 18 published volumes on assessment, contributed 30 chapters to other published works, and written more than 300 articles and reports. She is the founding editor of Assessment Update, a bi-monthly periodical published since 1989 by Jossey-Bass and winner of a national award for overall excellence in 2003 and the APEX Award for Editorial Writing in 2012.
- 1984 - National Council on Measurement in Education Award for outstanding application of educational measurement technology
- 1988 - American Association for Higher Education award for contributions to outcomes assessment
- 1997 - American Productivity and Quality Center award for effective practice in using management information in decision-making
- 2003 - Sidney S. Suslow Award of the Association for Institutional Research for significant scholarly contributions to higher education
- 2005 - Senior Scholar Award of the American College Personnel Association
- 2005 - University of Kentucky Hall of Distinguished Alumni
- 2008 - National Consortium for Continuous Improvement in Higher Education recognition for building a culture of evidence to improve learning at IUPUI
- 2008 - IUPUI Outstanding Woman Faculty Leader – Senior Category
- 2011 - Contribution to Knowledge Award of the American College Personnel Association
- 2012 - Annual Awards for Publication Excellence (APEX) Award for Editorial and Advocacy Writing as editor of Assessment Update
Appointed to national advisory panels as follows:
- 1989-1992 - US Secretary of Education's Special Study Panel on Education Indicators.
- 1999-2001 - National Research Council of the National Academy of Sciences panel on encouraging outstanding college teaching in science, math and engineering.
- 2001-2008 - Executive Committee of the National Postsecondary Education Cooperative of the National Center for Education Statistics.
- 2009 - Pres - National Institute on Learning Outcomes Assessment Advisory Council